Add a video to my website header
Using video in your website header is a way to increase visual interest, or highlight your products or services. We’ll upload the video in Vimeo, then link to it from our header.
Need a little extra guidance? Get expert video planning advice from a GoDaddy Guide.
Note: Custom videos are available to add to headers in websites using the Modern, Kai, Spaces, Slate, Dusk, Dawn, Libre, Luxe, Bright, Sideline, Retro, Trade, Focus and Craft themes.
If needed, change your theme. Stock videos are available in all themes that allow video.
- Go to www.vimeo.com, sign in or create an account, and then upload your video. The Basic plan is free.
- Once your video is uploaded and processed, check that it has a thumbnail image. If not, upload one. The thumbnail image is important because that’s what your visitors see before the video is loaded, and what mobile visitors see.
- If you have a paid Vimeo plan, customize your video player: hide the play bar, Vimeo logo and Share and Like buttons.
- Copy the link to your Vimeo video. For example: https://vimeo.com/1234567890
- In a new tab or window, go to your GoDaddy product page.
- Scroll to Websites + Marketing and select Manage next to your website.
- Open your Website Editor. In the Dashboard, select Website and then select Edit Site.
- Select your header, and then select the arrow next to your cover media.
- Select Video, select Import from URL and then paste your Vimeo video link.
- Publish your site to make the changes live to everyone else.
Video header best practices
- The best videos for headers are short loops (about 30 seconds maximum). If your video is very short (less than 5 seconds), try to make the beginning and ending scenes similar so it’s not jarring when the video jumps back to the beginning of the loop.
- The most effective videos help you:
- Set a mood. Show what life is like behind the scenes, or what it’s like to interact with your employees from the customer’s point of view.
- Showcase your products. Show people using your products so customers can imagine what it’s like for themselves. Or do a digital flythrough to highlight your product’s best features.
- Set the scene. Take your audience on an adventure, especially if you are an event planner or in hospitality. Or give a tour of your shop, spa, restaurant, or cafe.
- Videos should be fairly simple and movement should be smooth and fluid, not choppy or too active.
- Use videos purposefully. They are very good at drawing attention, but shouldn’t distract from the rest of your site.
- Make sure the color of your site content doesn’t blend in with the colors in your video. Otherwise your text is hard to read over the background.
- Avoid text overlay in the video so there are no additional visual distractions. Instead, add text in your header fields, which also helps your site get found in search results.